Surat tunjuk sebab, also known as STS, is a formal letter used in Indonesia to explain the reasons or causes behind certain actions, decisions, or events. This type of letter is commonly used in various settings, such as schools, workplaces, government agencies, and courts. In this article, we will discuss the definition, function, purpose, format, and examples of surat tunjuk sebab.
Surat tunjuk sebab is a letter that provides an explanation or justification for a particular situation, decision, or action. The letter is usually addressed to a specific person or entity, such as a supervisor, teacher, or judge. The purpose of the letter is to clarify the reasons behind a certain event or behavior, and to provide evidence or documentation to support the explanation.
The main function of surat tunjuk sebab is to provide a clear and detailed explanation of the reasons or causes behind a particular event or behavior. By doing so, the letter can help to avoid misunderstandings, conflicts, or legal issues that may arise from a lack of communication or transparency. The letter can also be used as a tool for decision-making, as it provides relevant information and evidence that can be used to evaluate the situation and determine the best course of action.
The purpose of surat tunjuk sebab can vary depending on the specific context or situation. Some common purposes of the letter include:
- To explain the reasons behind a student’s absence or tardiness
- To justify a request for leave or permission
- To clarify the circumstances surrounding a disciplinary action or termination
- To provide evidence or documentation in a legal case
- To seek clarification or resolution of a misunderstanding or dispute
The format of surat tunjuk sebab may vary depending on the specific requirements or guidelines of the organization or institution. However, there are some general guidelines and elements that should be included in the letter:
- Header: The letter should include a header that includes the name and address of the sender, as well as the date and the recipient’s name and address.
- Salutation: The letter should begin with a formal salutation, such as “Dear Sir/Madam” or “To Whom It May Concern.”
- Introduction: The first paragraph of the letter should provide a brief overview of the situation or event that requires explanation.
- Explanation: The body of the letter should provide a clear and detailed explanation of the reasons or causes behind the situation or event. This may include relevant facts, evidence, or documentation to support the explanation.
- Conclusion: The final paragraph of the letter should summarize the key points and reiterate the purpose of the letter. The sender may also express appreciation or gratitude for the recipient’s understanding or consideration.
- Closing: The letter should end with a formal closing, such as “Sincerely” or “Yours faithfully,” followed by the sender’s signature and name.
Here are two examples of surat tunjuk sebab:
Example 1: Surat Tunjuk Sebab for Student Absence
Jl. Raya XYZ No. 123
12 February 2021
Dear Mr. John Doe,
I am writing this letter to explain the reasons behind my daughter’s absence from school on 10 February 2021.
On that day, my daughter had a high fever and was unable to attend school. I took her to the doctor and she was diagnosed with influenza. I have attached a medical certificate from the doctor as proof of her illness.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused by her absence and appreciate your understanding of the situation. Please let me know if there are any further actions required on our part.
Example 2: Surat Tunjuk Sebab for Requesting Leave
Jl. Sudirman No. 456
15 March 2021
Dear Ms. Sarah Lee,
I am writing this letter to request a leave of absence from work for two weeks, starting from 1 April 2021.
The reason for my leave is that I need to take care of my mother, who will be undergoing surgery on 2 April 2021. I have attached a medical certificate from the hospital as proof of her condition and the need for my presence.
I have arranged for my work to be covered during my absence and will ensure a smooth transition. I appreciate your consideration of my request and am willing to discuss any further details or arrangements.
Q: Do I need to provide evidence or documentation in surat tunjuk sebab?
A: It depends on the specific situation and requirements of the recipient. In general, it is recommended to provide relevant evidence or documentation to support the explanation, as it can strengthen the credibility and validity of the letter.
Q: How long should surat tunjuk sebab be?
A: The length of the letter can vary depending on the complexity and detail of the explanation. However, it is generally recommended to keep the letter concise and focused, and to include only relevant information and evidence.
Q: Can surat tunjuk sebab be written in Indonesian language only?
A: Yes, surat tunjuk sebab can be written in Indonesian language only, as long as the recipient understands and accepts the language. However, it is also advisable to use a formal and professional tone and to follow the general guidelines and format of the letter.
Surat tunjuk sebab is an important tool for communication and explanation in various settings in Indonesia. By providing a clear and detailed explanation of the reasons or causes behind a particular situation or event, the letter can help to avoid misunderstandings, conflicts, or legal issues, and to facilitate decision-making and resolution. To write an effective surat tunjuk sebab, it is important to follow the general guidelines and format, and to provide relevant evidence or documentation to support the explanation.